Friday, August 23, 2013

Live Like Water

What is life?
What is the purpose of life?
How could I live this life?
Why do I live?

These are the questions that often come into my mind.  I keep searching for the answers of these questions but it seems so hard to find them.
Until one day I happened to pass by a river.  Rushing water moves continuously, it seems unending.   It is full of vigor. As I look at it I can see that water seems to be excited to reach its destination.  While looking unto it I noticed that the color of the water is not clear. It is more like milk mixed with coffee.  There's a lot of junk in it: cans, plastics, dirt, and leaves are floating on it.  Seeing the dirty water makes me feel sad because I think that this water in the river might not be useful anymore.  How could be the dirty water be useful? We can’t drink from it, nor take a a bath in it.

Having that sadness within me I continue walking beside the river, trying to enjoy the scenery around me. While walking, I noticed that the vigorous sound of the water can’t be heard anymore.  I look at the river again and I noticed that the water in the river became less in amount and it also moves slower.  I continue walking and I notice that the water totally disappeared from my sight. Another question comes into my mind.  Where does the water go?  Why is it gone?  Then I remember our lesson in science class before about water cycle.  Our teacher told us before that water sometimes goes with air which what we call evaporation.  It is a process in which water turned into air and goes up in space then later on it falls to the ground in the form of rain.  Another reason why water disappears is that it goes into the ground. But it does not stop there.  It continues moving, passing through rocks, gravel, soil and sand below the ground. 
I tried to forget about the water and enjoy gazing at the panoramic scenery.  I set my eyes ahead of me.  I see something sparkling through the striking light of the sun.  There is something like a sparkling crystal not so far away from me.  It sparkles brilliantly in the sunlight.  As I come near I notice that the sparkling thing I saw a while ago is a body of water.  It seems to be the continuation of the river.  But there is a big difference between the water I first saw and the water I’m looking at now.  Now I can see the crystal clear water, not the same light brown water.  I asked myself why?  Is this a miracle or magic?  How could it be?  A dirty river turned into crystal clear water.  As a nature lover I was amazed of what I have seen.  The river seems to invite me to step into it.  I decided to go down and put my foot into the clear water.  At that moment I feel the cool touch of it into my skin.  I feel relaxed.  The sadness I felt a while ago was suddenly gone and it was replaced by happiness.
Then I realized that the water goes down through ground in order for it to be purified by the gravels, sand and big rocks in the ground.  All those things seemed to be hindrances that make the water move slowly, cleansing and making it pure.  These things serve as purifiers that make the dirty water clean and useful again.  After passing through all these hindrances water continues to move in order to reach its destination: the wide sea, where waters of the world come together. 


Then I remember the question I had before.  The water in the river gave me the answer to my questions.
First, what is life?  Life is a journey.  It is a journey which we have to take.  In this journey we pass through different stages.  I do believe that when I was born I have nothing but the body, spirit and breathe that my Creator had given me.  My mind is empty; it is like a blank notebook that needs to be written.  It is covered by the dirt of ignorance and innocence.   But as days passed by and I continue living I was able to encounter different experiences, problems, and trials, which I consider the sand, gravel and rocks.  These experiences, problems, and trials give me trouble and make me think of quitting.   All these seemed to be the hindrances which are trying to stop me from lifting my feet to walk forward and continue living.
Second, how would I live this life? In living this life we need to be flexible.  We also need strength and self-confidence while we face trials and problems that we experience in our lives.  We should know how to deal with problems.  When trouble comes, all we need is to face it.  As the water encountering rocks, sand and gravel we will face trouble even as it will slow us down.  We should keep going forward.  We should think of the way in which we overcome that trouble.  Water passes through rocks by going down the rocks, sometimes through the sides of the rocks since it can’t climb up on it.  But it never quits.  So we should not quit either.  If we can’t directly face it for its size we can pass through it slowly as long as we do not quit.  Quitting or running away from problems can cause more problem which sometimes are much bigger and heavier to carry.  If we run away, we will be considered cowards.  Cowardice is failure.  There are so many things we can do  in this life besides quitting.  Quitting is a defeat without engaging the battle.  In living we need to be optimistic.  Thinking positively will keep us going forward despite the difficulty to persevere.
The last question I have is: why do I live this life?  If the water in the river has its destination, which is the sea, we also have our destination and purpose.  Why we are living here on Earth?  In our life, the wide sea is the success we aim to achieve.  We need to dream , so that we will have the reason to live.  I have a dream that I want to achieve.  This dream keeps me me motivated to live despite the difficulty of my life.
My wide sea is to be able to reach my dreams not only for myself but also for my family and for the people around me.  I live this life for me to offer my help to those who need it.  I admit that I am ambitious. I have many dreams that I want to fulfill and I want to use my life to make others fulfill their own dreams.
Life’s purpose is not achieving something for us alone, but having something for us to share.
Like the water, we can move continuously and supply the needs of others.  May our hearts flow with love and care endlessly.
Water is purified by rocks, sand, and gravel while we are purified and become wiser because of trials.  Continue your journey and reach for your own sea.


Good luck..:)

            Special thanks to my friend Orlando Romero for editing this piece 3 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment